Monday, January 9, 2012

Yeah Exercise! You have got to be kidding me!

My lovely husband has been participating in one of those "boot camps" in the park every weekday morning at 530am.  Now, I enjoy getting up early and a good brisk 20 minute walk with the dog, but to get up that early and go exercise with a bunch of other people...no way. 

Now, if I had seen some amazing transformation in my husband's physique I might have been more enthusiastic about joining him in these sessions.  He is about the same weight and really there haven't been any more muscles emerging. The only thing it seems to do is make him very sweaty and want to have more sex because he feels "more buff!"  He attends the boot camp about 3 times a week and he still eats a ton of food including a mountain of ice cream every night! He's not fat, he's tall 6 ft. 1in. and weighs about 200lbs.  I have also met several people in his boot camp and the women are not slender- they are large. 

For the most part I have not been able to attend a guest day because we have a young daughter and I don't feel right about driving to a park and being gone for over an hour.  I hate organized exercise.  I was always the tall dorky girl in the exercise class going the wrong direction.  However, over the holidays we had 6 extra people in the house and I had no excuse.  He has harassed me for 2 years to go with him...so I did. 

This was like a gym class nightmare for me.  We live in Southern California where 45 degrees is reason to light a fire and hibernate.  I think the morning I attended "boot camp" it was 37 and I hate cold weather.  I have spent my entire life escaping cold, I grew up in Minnesota, I've served my time in the cold. My husband was very proud to introduce me to all his boot camp buddies.  It was  5:20am and I really didn't feel like chit chatting. I did manage to unclench my jaws long enough for something like a chuckle to escape.  We did a few nice warm-ups not too bad and then we were told we were going to run- joy of joys! I do like running a couple miles, but oh no- this was running a minute as fast as you can followed by a minute of walking, 30 seconds of hard running, 30 sec of walking, 15 sec of hard running, 15 sec of walking.  I want to die, my lungs are screaming, but I am competitive, I don't want to be last! Must win.  I am nuts!  So, we do this a couple of times around the park.  It's dark, where am I? Why am I here? Oh yes, I don't want my husband to be upset and maybe he will stop bugging me about it! 

Now, we move on to ab exercises- I swear I was sore for 3 days straight, whatever we did, it burns!! I want to die. I have re-confirmed I hate group exercise.  My husband also failed to teach me the little chant they do at the end, something about being fired up- oh I'm fired up alright.  I was trying to be joke about it with my husband, but  he saw it as complaining and whining.  Okay- works for me! I don't think he will be inviting me back.  I will stick to my neighborhood walks with the dog and the occasional visit to the treadmill at the gym.  Works for me.  I did decide to try the Zumba class at my gym and for an uncoordinated person with no rhythm, it was an interesting social experience and perhaps I will expand on that at some point!

1 comment:

  1. LOL, nice! You sound like me, and I think the fact that you even went means something. You tried, that's all the matters :)

    ReplyDelete